Star Castle was built in 1593 during the reign of Queen Elizabeth, for the defence of the Isles of Scilly. It stands on the fortified Garrison Hill to the west of Hugh Town, St Mary’s, and commands magnificent views of the sea and isles in every direction. The Castle has been the scene of many historic occasions. The Dining room was the original officer’s messroom. It belongs ‘to the age of Drake and the sea-dogs.